COLLETON COUNTY, SC (WCSC) - Emergency officials say a woman "narrowly escaped" a house fire by jumping out of a window.
Colleton County Fire and Rescue officials say the fire happened Tuesday morning at a home on the 14,000 block of Lowcountry Highway.
Responding crews reported arriving to heavy smoke conditions, and flames from the single story house.
"Firefighter-Paramedics deployed two handlines and forced entry through the front door," CCFR officials said."They made an aggressive interior attack stopping the flames from reaching the north end of the building. The kitchen, utility room and dining room suffered heavy fire damage, with the remainder of the home receiving smoke damage."
According to CCFR officials, the homeowner, who works at nights, had placed a load of clothes in the dryer before going to sleep.
"She was awakened by a popping noise and thick smoke," CCFR officials said."Being unable to escape through the hall, she was able to jump from a window in the bedroom."
Authorities say during the escape, the woman received a broken arm.
A report states there was no one else was at the home when the fire happened and there were no working smoke detectors in the home.
"The fire started in the area of the clothes dryer which was located just off of the kitchen," CCFR officials said.
The fire spread through the kitchen into the attic and under the floor.
"Firefighters used a chainsaw to cut some of the kitchen floor to reach the fire under the building," CCFR officials said."The woman was treated at the scene, then transported to Colleton Medical Center by Fire-Rescue Medic 13."
Fire crews were on the scene for four hours.