CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - The National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution recently recognized West Ashley High School U.S. History teacher Samuel Meade as the recipient of the Outstanding Teacher of American History Award for the Fort Sullivan chapter, CCSD spokesperson Donnie Newton said.
According to the Fort Sullivan Chapter of the NSDAR, the award is designed to honor those who have dedicated their time to educating students [about] American History.
Nominees for the Outstanding Teacher of American History Award must meet the following criteria:
- Have taught during the current school year
- Have a detailed knowledge of American History that is shared with their students
- Foster a spirit of patriotism
- Demonstrate the ability to relate history to present day
- Have high academic standards
- Require excellence from their students at all times
- Be committed to the students and enjoy a good rapport with them
As the local recipient of this award, Meade will advance to the state level. If he wins there, he will then advance to the national level, Newton said.