CHARLESTON COUNTY, SC (WCSC) - Crews with the Red Cross are helping a family after an early morning house fire on Wadmalaw Island on Wednesday.
Officials with St. John's Fire District say crews responded to the 6000 block of Maybank Highway at 9:20 a.m. for a reported structure fire.
Arriving units reported finding a mattress on fire in the yard and a small fire in the bedroom of the single family residence.
"A tenant and his son smelled smoke and discovered the fire in the bedroom," fire officials said."They attempted to extinguish the fire before removing the mattress to the yard."
The STJFD Fire Marshal Division responded and determined the fire was caused due to a space heater too close to combustibles.
Units with the St. John's Fire District, Charleston Fire Department, and Charleston County EMS responded.
Officials with the St. John's Fire District released the following information.
With cooler weather upon us, here are a few safety tips to keep in mind:
- Space heaters should be kept at least 3-5 feet away from combustibles.
- If you are leaving the room or house, space heaters should be turned off.
- Working smoke alarms save lives. Test batteries monthly and replace batteries annually.
- If you discover a fire, get outside and stay out.