Quantcast

SEWE prepares to bring in millions of dollars to Charleston econ - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

SEWE prepares to bring in millions of dollars to Charleston economy

SEWE galleries set up at Charleston Place (Source: Live 5) SEWE galleries set up at Charleston Place (Source: Live 5)
Crews set up spaces at Brittlebank Park for SEWE (Source: Live 5) Crews set up spaces at Brittlebank Park for SEWE (Source: Live 5)
President of M. Dumas & Sons say their Barbour jackets are a hot commodity at SEWE (Source: Live 5) President of M. Dumas & Sons say their Barbour jackets are a hot commodity at SEWE (Source: Live 5)
CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) -

More than 40,000 people are expected to converge on Charleston this weekend for one of the city’s biggest event.

The 35th annual Southeastern Wildlife Exposition kicks off Friday morning drawing in locals and people from around the world.

Setup was underway Thursday all over the peninsula where activities will take place.

“We’ve got dock dogs, two tanks worth of competitions going on, retriever demonstrations,” said SEWE Executive Director John Powell. “Goods and Outfitters, we’ve got a lot of our sponsors set up, and it’s just a fun outdoor atmosphere.”

Jimmy Huggins, the President and CEO of SEWE said roughly 40% of the people who turn out this weekend are locals, the other 60% are people from out of state, and even the country. It’s an event which tries to start each year out on a good note.

“Everybody tells us that,” Huggins said. “The Convention and Visitor’s Bureau, the city [all say that]. It kicks off the tourist season, no doubt about it.”

It’s also a beneficial event for some of the local non-profits.

“A lot of these conservation organizations raise a lot of money during SEWE weekend,” Powell said. “Especially some of the smaller ones who may not have this kind of audience or access to this kind of crowd all at one time.”

SEWE isn’t just about the wildlife or the arts, it’s also about the fashion, and local businesses are feeling the effects.

“This weekend’s number are more than double what a normal weekend is,” said Gary Flynn, President and CEO of M. Dumas & Sons on King Street.

According to the Charleston area CVB, in 2016 SEWE weekend brought nearly $25 million into the city’s economy.

Those numbers are from industries including hospitality and retail.

“They dress sort of country-chic,” Huggins said. “They love the Barbour jackets.”

“We will sell… 100-150 of them,” Flynn said. “Something in that world, between men’s and women’s.”

“They love the moleskin pants,” Huggins added. “The ladies love to get into the scarves.”

Tickets are still available to several of the events this weekend.

For a full schedule of events, click here, and the purchase event click here.

Copyright 2017 WCSC. All rights reserved.

  • NEWS LocalNEWSMore>>

  • 9/11 Never Forget Mobile Exhibit in North Charleston Memorial Day Weekend

    9/11 Never Forget Mobile Exhibit in North Charleston Memorial Day Weekend

    Saturday, May 27 2017 4:11 PM EDT2017-05-27 20:11:56 GMT
    Source: WCSCSource: WCSC

    On this Memorial Day weekend there's an opportunity to visit the Stephen Siller 9/11 Never Forget Mobile Exhibit. 

    More >>

    On this Memorial Day weekend there's an opportunity to visit the Stephen Siller 9/11 Never Forget Mobile Exhibit. 

    More >>
  • Caitlyn the dog celebrates her Liberation Day

    Caitlyn the dog celebrates her Liberation Day

    Saturday, May 27 2017 4:46 PM EDT2017-05-27 20:46:13 GMT
    Source: Charleston Animal SocietySource: Charleston Animal Society

    Today marks the day two years ago that Caitlyn was discovered battered and abused and brought to Charleston Animal Society.

    More >>

    Today marks the day two years ago that Caitlyn was discovered battered and abused and brought to Charleston Animal Society.

    More >>
  • DUI checkpoints to be placed in North Charleston for Memorial Day weekend

    DUI checkpoints to be placed in North Charleston for Memorial Day weekend

    Saturday, May 27 2017 4:33 PM EDT2017-05-27 20:33:39 GMT
    Source: PixabaySource: Pixabay

    Joint Base Charleston is partnering with local law enforcement to keep you and your family safe this Memorial Day weekend.

    More >>

    Joint Base Charleston is partnering with local law enforcement to keep you and your family safe this Memorial Day weekend.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly