FAQ: Why is Tax Day April 18 this year? - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

FAQ: Why is Tax Day April 18 this year?

The 2017 federal tax filing deadline is April 18, not April 15. (Source: seevepb/Pixabay) The 2017 federal tax filing deadline is April 18, not April 15. (Source: seevepb/Pixabay)

(RNN) - April 18, a Tuesday, is Tax Day for most Americans, the day to file and pay federal taxes.

Typically, the tax filing deadline is April 15. But because in 2017 that date is a Saturday, Tax Day has been moved backward. Taxpayers have an additional day because Washington, DC, will close April 17, Monday, for a legal holiday, Emancipation Day, the day President Abraham Lincoln freed the slaves. 

Some people in the military qualify for automatic filing and paying extensions. Those serving must be stationed abroad or in a combat zone during the tax filing season. 

Filing electronically will help avoid many common errors, the IRS says, and the IRS e-file is the most accurate way to file tax returns. "Seven out of ten taxpayers can use IRS Free File software at no cost," the IRS said

More than four out of five of the 153 million people who file tax returns in 2017 will use tax return preparation software, the IRS said

The IRS provides an online interview to help people determine whether they are legally required to file federal tax returns. In general, people must file a tax return if they had gross income of more than $10,000 as a single filer or more than $20,000 as a married couple filing jointly. 

Those required to file often ask these questions: 

Q. If you will be unable to file your 2016 tax return by April 18, what should you do?
A. Free File lets you request an extension, but be sure to pay your taxes by April 18 to avoid penalty or interest charges. 

Q. How quickly will you get your refund? 
A. Most refunds that are complete and without errors are issued within 21 calendar days, but your refund may take longer. The IRS says that's how long it takes for your refund either to be mailed or to be posted to your account by your financial institution.   

Q. Where can I get free tax return preparation?
A. IRS-certified volunteers help qualifying taxpayers through two programs: the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program and the Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) program.

VITA serves people who make $54,000 or less, people with disabilities and people with limited English ability. TCE focuses on helping taxpayers who are 60 years of age and older. To find VITA and TCE sites, either phone 800-906-9887 or use the locator tool at irs.treasury.gov/freetaxprep

At more than 5,000 locations nationwide, the AARP, the lobbying group for older Americans, offers free tax preparation for low-to-moderate income taxpayers who are 60 and older. 

Q. What forms should you have before filing tax returns?
A. Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement from employers; Form 1099-MISC, Miscellaneous Income from banks and other payers; and FORM 1095-A, Health Insurance Marketplace Statement. 

Q. Does the IRS offer tax relief for disaster victims? 
A. Yes. Victims of flooding, hurricanes, severe storms, straight-line winds, tornadoes and wildfires can get such information on the IRS site at Tax Relief in Disaster Situations.

Q. Does the IRS offer other tools and information?
A. Information on the site includes tips for choosing a tax preparer, getting help with identify theft and checking on the status of refunds

The IRS addresses other commonly asked questions in an FAQ that touches on such topics as ways to notify the IRS of address changes, the age limit on claiming a child as a dependent, what is a split refund and tax changes for this year. 

Copyright 2017 Raycom News Network. All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly