Report: Wando student arrested for bringing Airsoft gun to school

Report: Wando student arrested for bringing Airsoft gun to school

MOUNT PLEASANT, SC (WCSC) - Mount Pleasant Police arrested a Wando High School student Thursday for bringing a gun to school.

The student, whose identity is not being released because of his age, was charged with carrying a weapon on school property.

The Charleston County School District is looking into disciplinary action, spokesman Andrew Pruitt said.

Police responded to the school at approximately 4:44 p.m. where a Charleston County School District employee had seen a picture of a gun on a school bus that had been sent via the Snapchat social media app, an incident report states.

Police went to the home of the student reportedly involved in the incident, where an officer was already speaking to the student and trying to get in touch with the student's guardians, the report states.

Police say the student admitted to taking a picture of an Airsoft gun a friend had taken to school but would not say who the friend was.

Minutes later, the child's grandfather arrived, and the child's father arrived a few minutes after that, police say. The father ran inside the house and locked the door, but the student eventually came to one of the front windows and opened it to talk to the officers, who instructed the student to unlock the door and come outside, the report states.

The student was patted down and police were given permission to search the home, the report states.

Police found the bookbag that had contained the gun in the Snapchat image lying on the child's bedroom floor, but the gun was not there, the report states.

Police then found the holster that was also in the image on a table next to the bed. Next to the holster were two more pistols, one Airsoft and one BB gun, along with an Airsoft magazine that would not fit the two pistols on the table, the report states.

Police did retrieve the weapon, a holster, a cell phone and a CO2 container from the home, the report states.

The juvenile was transported to the Charleston County Juvenile Detention Center.

Copyright 2017 WCSC. All rights reserved.