Officers arrest second suspect in Boeing SC bomb threat

Officers arrest second suspect in Boeing SC bomb threat

NORTH CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - Investigators say they have arrested a second Lowcountry man in connection to a bomb threat at Boeing SC that was made to get the man out of work early.

Authorities arrested 36-year-old Jermaine Mustapher on Monday and charged him with making a bomb threat.

According to officials with Charleston County Aviation Authority, the incident happened last September when Mustapher had called 36-year-old Devon Maurice Wigfall and told him to call a Boeing construction site in North Charleston to get him out of work.

Wigfall, who was arrested last October for the incident, said he called in a bomb threat.

On Sept. 22, 2016, officers with the Charleston County Aviation Authority responded to Boeing's SCRA facilities in response to a bomb threat.

An employee received a restricted telephone call from a unknown caller around 10:49 a.m. The caller said,"There's a bomb on your premises and you need to evacuate your premises."

The employee then responded,"You have got to be ******* kidding me."

The caller repeated what he said to the employee who then hung up the phone and called a manager to report the threat. Two construction buildings on the site were then evacuated.

Explosives K-9 detection units responded to the scene and found no suspicious devices.

Investigators tracked the phone number to Wigfall. After Wigfall was found and detained, he told authorities he called in the bomb threat to get a friend of his out of work.

A report states Wigfall said his friend works at the Boeing site as a construction laborer and wanted to go home from work early.

Wigfall said his friend told him to call his work site and tell them there was an emergency and that his friend needed to leave.

Wigfall told investigators said he decided to call in a bomb threat instead.

Boeing officials confirmed that Wigfall's friend, Mustapher, worked at the site the day of the incident, and that he was a plumber that was hired through another service.

Authorities say when they went to the construction site to talk to Mustapher a supervisor said he was not there because "they were laying off a lot of workers" and also cited the friend's attendance issues.

Investigators say they spoke and questioned Mustapher who told officers that he did not tell Wigfall to call in for him and said it's been "a long time" since he had spoken to Wigfall.

However, authorities say records show that four phone calls were placed to Mustapher from Wigfall between Sept. 22, 2016 and Sept. 29, 2016, one of which was on the evening the bomb threat was made.

Copyright 2017 WCSC. All rights reserved.