Quantcast

Unattended candles start house fire in West Ashley - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

breaking

Unattended candles start house fire in West Ashley

(Source: Charleston Fire Department) (Source: Charleston Fire Department)
CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) -

Crews extinguished a house fire caused by unattended candles in West Ashley Thursday morning. 

Emergency responders say they were able to gain control of a blaze at a home on the 1600 block of Evergreen Street minutes after it was called in around 5 a.m.

The fire was contained to one side of the duplex. 

No one was injured. Officials say one adult and three children evacuated the house before the fire department arrived.

No working smoke alarms were found in the home, prompting this reminder from the Charleston Fire Department: 

  • Install and maintain smoke alarms in your home
  • The fire department provides smoke alarms and installation free of charge
  • Never leave candles unattended
  • Plan and practice a home escape plan
  •  When fire strikes, get out and call 911 from outside the home

The Charleston Fire Department says the Red Cross is assisting the family. 

Copyright 2017 WCSC. All Rights Reserved. 

Powered by Frankly