CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - This year marks the 10-year anniversary of the tragic fire that claimed nine Charleston Fire Department firefighters.
The Charleston Fire Department will commemorate the 10-year anniversary of the loss of nine Charleston Firefighters at 7:00 p.m. on Sunday, June 18.
The ceremony will be conducted at the Charleston Nine Memorial Park, located at 1807 Savannah Highway.
Members of the fire service and the community are welcome to attend.
- Charleston Fire Department personnel will initiate a watch at the flagpole of the memorial park starting at midnight and continuing for the 24 hours of June 18th.
- Uniformed personnel interested in participating in the watch should contact Battalion Chief Travis Holsberg via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Family members may arrive any time prior to 7:00 p.m.
- Uniformed personnel from outside agencies should arrive by 6:30 p.m.and check in with the CFD member located at the Alpha/Delta corner of the memorial park.
- The ceremony will begin promptly at 7:00 p.m.
- Families of the fallen and members of the CFD, past and present, will be seated in the tented area and will receive priority seating.
- Uniformed CFD personnel will assemble in the park at 6:30 p.m.
- Uniformed personnel from outside agencies will be directed in to the park, as space allows, following CFD members.
- Ringing of the bell followed by bagpipes.
- Parking in the area is very limited and we encourage carpooling.
- The memorial park parking lot along Savannah Highway will not be available.
- Please see the map below for the two recommended parking areas.