Coroner identifies children killed in North Charleston attack; suspect waives right to bond hearing

Source: Live 5 News
Source: Live 5 News
Source: Live 5 News
Source: Live 5 News
Source: Live 5 News
Source: Live 5 News
Picture of the suspect. (Source: NCPD)
Picture of the suspect. (Source: NCPD)

NORTH CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - The Charleston County Coroner's Office has identified two children who were killed in an attack at an apartment in North Charleston.

Authorities say 8-year-old Avery Martin and his brother, 2-year-old Aiyden Martin, died from "sharp force injuries" on Monday.

According to the coroner, Avery died on scene at 2245 Greenridge Road, while Aiyden died at MUSC.

"Both deaths are ruled a homicide and being investigated by NCPD," said Chief Deputy Coroner Bobbi Jo O'Neal.

The man suspected of killing the two children waived his right to a bond hearing Tuesday morning.

Raashid Jaamal White, 26, was expected to face a bond judge Tuesday afternoon.

White is charged with two counts of murder in the stabbing deaths of the two children, North Charleston Police spokesman Spencer Pryor said.

White's arrest stems from an incident on Monday shortly after 3 p.m. when officers responded to 2245 Greenridge Rd. in reference to a caller saying there was someone in the home "having mental issues," a report states.

Police say the suspect attacked the caller and locked her out of the home where two children were still inside.

According to court records, when officers forced entry into the apartment, the suspect jumped off a second floor balcony and fled.

The officers reported finding the two victims inside the apartment suffering from multiple stab wounds.

"Both juveniles died as a result of the attack," Pryor said.

Police say law enforcement later located White in the area of South Antler Drive.

Motorists reported seeing officers running towards the woods across from the Baker Plantation neighborhood before patrol cars got to the scene and shut the road down.

A Charleston County Sheriff's Office deputy on South Antler Drive spotted the suspect in the area.

A North Charleston police officer said as he got to the scene he saw two deputies struggling with the suspect on the sidewalk. According to police, officers then assisted the deputies with the suspect who was "actively physically resisting."

During the struggle, the suspect was able to break his arms free multiple times and kept reaching towards an officer's waistband, according to a report.

An officer said he tased the suspect, but the suspect continued to resist and did not appear to be affected by the taser. Officers and deputies were able to eventually restrain him with handcuffs at which point the suspect stopped resisting, NCPD officials said.

A report states during the course of the struggle, the suspect sustained a laceration to his forehead which was treated on scene by EMS crews.

The search for the suspect involved multiple agencies with K-9 units and a helicopter assisting.

Nearly two dozen marked and unmarked police patrol cars were spotted in the area of the Jamison Park Apartment complex during the investigation.

Officers were seen placing crime scene tape around a building and blocking off a portion of one of the parking lots.

Copyright 2017 WCSC. All rights reserved.