CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - A traffic alert for those of you who travel on I-26. Lane closures for a traffic switch are going to continue through Oct. 18 from mile marker 188 to mile marker 191. That's between the Jedburg and Ridgeville exits.
The lane closures in the area are in preparation of new ramps and bridges which will lead directly to the Volvo Plant.
"We'll have a new ramp that comes from Westbound I-26 to tie into Volvo Car Drive back to the plant in that area. There will also be another ramp that flies from Volvo Car Drive back to Charleston. And there will be similar ramps on the westbound side that takes you to that same access point and take you away toward Columbia," Daniel Burton, one of SCDOT's Construction Engineer, said.
Be aware these changes are on the east and west sides of the interstate. This is all a part of the Volvo Interchange Project, which aims to provide direct access to the proposed Volvo Manufacturing Facility.
"Anything that can take some of that congestion out of the main roads is going to be worth it," Paula Siefken, a Summerville resident, said.
Conti Enterprises, Inc. is working in conjunction with the South Carolina Department of Transportation (SCDOT) on this project. The lane closures are necessary to install concrete barriers on the shoulder and facilitate lane striping for a new traffic pattern.
"Folks can start to see the footprint of those structures in the way the trees are cleared," Burton said.
The entire project is expected to be done by January 30th, 2019. The cost was just under $44 million.
"It's a lump sum project meaning the cost is already fixed so it will be a complete lump sum layout with no overlays or anything like that," Burton added.
The schedule is as follows:
• Sunday, October 8 starting at 9:00 p.m. and ending Monday, October 9 at 6:00 a.m. (Right-lane)
• Monday, October 9 starting at 6:00 p.m. and ending Tuesday, October 10 at 7:00 a.m. (Right-lane)
• Tuesday, October 10 starting at 6:00 p.m. and ending Wednesday, October 11 at 7:00 a.m. (Right-lane)
• Wednesday, October 11 at 7:00 p.m. and ending Thursday, October 12 at 7:00 a.m. (Left-lane)
• Tuesday, October 10 starting at 7:00 p.m. and ending Wednesday, October 11 at 8:00 a.m. (Begins with right-lane closure, followed by and ending with the left-lane closure)
• Thursday, October 12 starting at 7:00 p.m. and ending Friday, October 13 at 8:00 a.m. (Left-lane)
• Friday, October 13 starting at 8:00 a.m. and ending Saturday, October 14 at 7:00 a.m. (Right-lane)
• Monday, October 16 starting at 6:00 p.m. and ending Tuesday, October 17 at 8:00 a.m. (Right-lane)
• Tuesday, October 17 starting at 7:00 p.m. and ending Wednesday, October 18 at 8:00 a.m. (Right-lane)
Officials say all scheduled times are approximate and dependent on the weather. Drivers traveling near the construction zones are asked to be aware of equipment and crews working in the areas and to comply with traffic control signs, reductions in speed limits, and message board information. Drivers are also asked to be aware of the new and changing traffic patterns during the project.
Should you have any questions or need further information, please contact Mark Liebes with Conti at (908) 307-1518 or at email@example.com and SCDOT Resident Construction Engineer Daniel Burton at (843) 371-0342 or at BurtonD@scdot.org