Firefighters: Welding torch caused barrel explosion, injuring Mt - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Firefighters: Welding torch caused barrel explosion, injuring Mt. Pleasant mechanic

Source: Raycom Source: Raycom

One person was transported to the hospital after an accident at a warehouse caused an explosion in Mount Pleasant, fire officials say. 

Authorities say the incident happened Monday afternoon in the 400 block of Long Point Road. 

Police say a man dragged an oil barrel from outside a garage area to just inside it. He then used a welding torch to remove the top of the barrel to use it as a trash can. 

The barrel exploded when the torch ignited a small amount of oil residue in the bottom of the barrel. The force of the explosion pushed the man into a wall.

According to MPFD authorities, employees used fire extinguishers to put the fire out. 

The person who was injured was transported to MUSC for treatment. 

Copyright 2017 WCSC. All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly