CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - Darius Rucker has canceled a special appearance at a Charleston concert.
The City of Charleston said it was the result of an "unavoidable scheduling conflict" for Rucker, who has been removed from the lineup of the Homeless for Hope benefit concert.
"We're very grateful to Darius for trying so hard to squeeze this concert into his incredibly packed schedule," Mayors' Commission on Homelessness and Affordable Housing Chair Robert Clement said in a statement. "No one does more to help worthy causes in our community, and we appreciate his ongoing and generous support of the Homeless to Hope initiative."
The Mayors' Commission on Homelessness and Affordable Housing announced a concert to benefit homeless people in the Tri-County area earlier in February.
The first annual event will take place at 6:30 p.m. on March 11 in the Gaillard Center Performance Hall. The commission includes Charleston Mayor John Tecklenburg, North Charleston Mayor R. Keith Summey, Mount Pleasant Mayor Will Haynie and Summerville Mayor Wiley Johnson.
The Homeless to Hope fund was established in 2016 to assist re-housing people in Charleston's tent city. The 2017 Point-In-Time count revealed 385 homeless people in Charleston County, 18 in Dorchester County and 7 in Berkeley County.
Other performers include Charlton Singleton, Quiana Parler, Heather Rice and Lowcountry Voices.
Concert proceeds will benefit the Homeless to Hope Fund, created by the Palmetto Project in February 2016, which provides support to community organizations and service providers who help individuals transition out of homelessness.
"Homelessness relates so directly to the issue of affordable housing in our community," Tecklenburg said."Because if you don't have a reasonably priced place for someone to live, you can't deal with the issue of homelessness."