Malfunctioning exhaust fan blamed for brief Summerville High evacuation

Malfunctioning exhaust fan blamed for brief Summerville High evacuation

SUMMERVILLE, SC (WCSC) - Authorities evacuated Summerville High School briefly Monday afternoon after smoke was reported inside a science lab.

Students and staff evacuated the building at approximately 12:45 p.m. as the fire department inspected the area.

Crews traced the smoke to a malfunctioning exhaust fan, Dorchester County School District 2 spokesperson Pat Raynor said.

After about 10 minutes, everyone was allowed back inside and classes resumed.

Copyright 2018 WCSC. All rights reserved.