Report: Former Clemson, South Carolina players took money accord - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Report: Former Clemson, South Carolina players took money according to FBI

Courtesy: USC Athletics Courtesy: USC Athletics
Courtesy: Clemson Athletics Courtesy: Clemson Athletics

Yahoo Sports reported on hundreds of pages of documents regarding the federal investigation into college basketball on Friday and both Clemson and South Carolina have players linked to getting payments in college according to the report. 

Former Tigers star Jaron Blossomgame along with former Gamecock PJ Dozier and current South Carolina player Brian Bowen were all named in the report. 

Dozier, who helped lead South Carolina to their first Final Four last season, received at least $6,115 from the agency ASM Sports according to the documents. 

Bowen, who transferred to South Carolina during this season after being involved in the initial federal investigation, is listed as receiving more than $1,500 in plane tickets for his parents and himself while also getting at least $7,000 in benefits. 

Blossomgame, who starred for Clemson and is currently playing for the San Antonio Spurs G-League team, is listed as having received an $1,100 payment via Venmo while he was still in school. 

The documents come as part of the investigation into former NBA agent Andy Miller. 

In a statement, South Carolina AD Ray Tanner said "We first learned of the allegations in the Yahoo Sports report last night, and remain committed to cooperating with the NCAA and the DOJ."

Clemson AD Dan Radakovich released a statement saying “Clemson was made aware of an issue regarding a former student-athlete through this morning’s media reports. We received no inquiries or prior notice from anyone, and we’re in the process of reviewing the matter.”

Clemson head basketball coach Brad Brownell also said in a statement “I’ve been in college basketball for over 25 years and I’ve always tried to conduct myself within the rules and have held my staff and players to the same standard. Because I do not have any personal knowledge about the current investigation, I won’t comment or speculate about that matter. We’ll cooperate with any agency looking into the issue if they contact us."

NCAA President Mark Emmert released a statement on the report Friday morning saying “These allegations, if true, point to systematic failures that must be fixed and fixed now if we want college sports in America. Simply put, people who engage in this kind of behavior have no place in college sports. They are an affront to all those who play by the rules."

“Following the Southern District of New York's indictments last year, the NCAA Board of Governors and I formed the independent Commission on College Basketball, chaired by Condoleezza Rice, to provide recommendations on how to clean up the sport. With these latest allegations, it's clear this work is more important now than ever. The Board and I are completely committed to making transformational changes to the game and ensuring all involved in college basketball do so with integrity.

“We also will continue to cooperate with the efforts of federal prosecutors to identify and punish the unscrupulous parties seeking to exploit the system through criminal acts.”

Powered by Frankly