ORANGEBURG COUNTY, SC (WCSC) - Deputies investigating a suspicious vehicle led to the discovery of a convicted felon who was wearing a bullet proof vest and was in possession of a stolen gun and a wide variety of drugs, according to investigators.
The Orangeburg County Sheriff's Office arrested 39-year-old Risheen Israel Pender.
"My officers patrolling Wednesday evening noticed a suspicious vehicle on private property," Sheriff Leroy Ravenell said. "When they investigated, they discovered an individual with a weapon, what turned out to be a wide variety of drugs, cash, scales, and he was wearing a bulletproof vest."
It hapenned at 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday when investigators were patrolling Jamison Avenue and noticed a man inside a vehicle parked on a vacant lot.
According to a report, when investigators approached the vehicle to determine if the driver had permission to be on a posted site, they saw what looked like a bag of narcotics stuffed inside the driver's side door.
"From there, investigators' search of the vehicle turned up various illegal narcotics, a pistol stolen in 2016 from a residence located less than a mile from where investigators initially spotted Pender," OCSO officials said.
The sheriff's office says when Pender was frisked, he was found to be wearing a bulletproof vest.
"Dealing drugs is a dangerous business that can take your life, but you can also wind up in prison for life, which is almost the same thing," Ravenell said. "This makes 17 warrants we've issued in that area in the past week. But if we have to seek 1,700 for that area, we're going to keep on until we wipe out illegal drugs."
Pender was arrested on the following charges:
- Possession of a firearm by a convicted felon
- Possession of a stolen pistol
- Possession with intent to distribute a controlled substance (Xanax)
- Possession with intent to distribute marijuana
- Possession with intent to distribute a controlled substance (ecstasy)
- Possession with intent to distribute a controlled substance (“Molly” – a hallucinogenic)
- Possession of cocaine
- Possession with intent to distribute crack cocaine near a school
- Possession with intent to distribute Xanax near a school
- Possession with intent to distribute Molly near a school
- Possession with intent to distribute ecstasy near a school
- Possession with intent to distribute marijuana near a school
- Distribution of cocaine
- Possession with intent to distribute cocaine near a school