COLLETON COUNTY, SC (WCSC) - A man who went to investigate an explosion at his brother's home nearby found his sibling crawling out of the burning wreckage.
Emergency officials say the 66-year-old Colleton County man was critically injured following an explosion at his home on Casear Lane in the Ritter community Thursday afternoon.
According to Colleton County Fire and Rescue, the man's brother, who lives next door, heard an explosion and saw his brother's mobile home on fire.
"He found his brother trying to crawl out of the burning building, so he was able to pull him out of the house and to safety," CCFR officials said."Someone pulled up to the yard about that time and they placed the injured man in the car and drove him to Colleton Medical Center."
A report states the man suffered second and third degree burns over 70 percent of his body.
He was eventually transported to the Burn Center in Augusta.
When firefighters arrived at the home they reported that the home was destroyed with half of the structure already collapsed.
"There was evidence of a explosion with debris littering the scene in front and behind the home," CCFR officials said. "A propane tank against the back of the house posed some danger. One crew cooled the tank while the second crew extinguished the house fire."
"The patient also told the hospital staff the stove exploded," CCFR officials said.
According to the brother, the man had been smelling gas in the house for a couple of weeks before the incident.
SLED was called out to investigate the fire, and no foul play is suspected.