CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - The Cooper River Bridge run is less than two weeks away and the Charleston police department has issued its annual list of road closures to prepare for the event.
Most notably, the entire Arthur Ravenel Bridge will be closed until the participants have cleared the bridge, support staff removed, barricades removed, and the bridge cleaned of any debris. Police anticipate this will be done by 12 p.m.
Participants in the run may also park overnight in the Visitors Center Parking Garage, the SC Aquarium Garage and the 34 St. Philip Street Garage from Friday at 5 p.m. until Saturday at 2 p.m.for a $5 flat rate.
Below is a list of all street closures for the run.
- Hampton Park will close Friday at 11:00 a.m. at all entrances until 7 p.m. CRBR will coordinate with Recreation on these closures. Volunteers will be needed.
- George Street between Meeting and Anson Street will be closed at 10 p.m. on Friday until 2:00 p.m. Saturday
- Meeting Street between George and Wentworth will close Friday at 10 p.m. The Northbound Lane of Meeting Street from George to Calhoun will remain open; the southbound lane of Meeting Street from George to Calhoun will be closed for traffic. Traffic will be re-opened on Saturday following Finish Line cleanup, near 2 p.m.
- Calhoun Street between Meeting to Anson Street will be closed to all traffic 12:00 a.m. to 2 p.m.; residential limited traffic only until 4:30 a.m. when the road will be closed entirely.
- Calhoun Street, between King and East Bay Street, will be closed on Saturday at 4:30 a.m. until 2 p.m. or CPD re-opens.
- George Street – East Bay Street to Anson Street from 4:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Anson Street – Calhoun to Society Street will be closed 4:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Alexander Street from Charlotte St to George Street from 4:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Charlotte Street - Elizabeth to Meeting Street- from 4:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Henrietta Street – Elizabeth to Meeting Street from 5:00 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Elizabeth Street – Calhoun to Charlotte Street- from 5:00 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Meeting Street from John to Wentworth will be closed @ 4:30 a.m. with early openings happening following the RACE participants leaving the route and the route /being cleaned (EST 11:30 a.m. – 2 p.m.). [Wentworth and Society will flow until 7 a.m. unless pedestrian traffic forces early closure]
- Arthur Ravenel Bridge Wonderway Lane will be closed by CPD at 6:30 a.m. to clear the bridge of pedestrian traffic UNTIL Bridge is re-opened following the RACE.
- Race Route and support streets will be closed at 7 a.m. until the participants are finished and the roadways are cleaned (11:30 a.m. - 12 p.m.) the entire Arthur Ravenel Bridge will be closed until the participants have cleared the bridge, support staff removed, barricades removed, and the bridge cleaned of any debris.
- Coleman Blvd: expect delays and congestion on Coleman Blvd as materials are put in place for the bridge run – 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Coleman Blvd – Road closures beginning at 3 a.m. from Fairmont to Hibben
- Coleman Blvd Road closures at 5 a.m. from Chuck Dawley Blvd to Live Oak
- Coleman Blvd Road closure from Ravenel Bridge to Live Oak at 6 a.m.
- Ravenel Bridge closure (all) at 7 a.m., diversion at US 17 at Houston Northcutt onto Mathis Ferry Rd all southbound traffic
NOTE: -10 a.m. - hope to open up areas along Coleman Blvd with the exception of Fairmont to Hibben (to take down starting line and restore construction barrels) and Chuck Dawley (congested with bus drop off).
Ravenel Bridge – around 11 a.m. or as soon as participants and volunteers are safely off this section of the Race Course.
Noon - hopefully all traffic restored