JAMES ISLAND, SC (WCSC) - Folks on Folly Road will have to use a new traffic pattern starting on Tuesday.
Charleston County is opening the new turning lanes at the Folly and Camp roads intersection.
They broke ground on the project two years ago. The county constructed the new lanes to help with traffic congestion.
The lanes are supposed to open before the morning commute.
New traffic patterns include:
- An additional lane at Camp Road westbound approaching Folly Road, providing Camp Road with dedicated lanes for left turns, through traffic, and right turns.
- An additional left turn lane from Folly Road southbound onto Camp Road.
- A new right turn lane on northbound Folly Road for traffic turning onto Camp Road.
- A new left turn lane on Eugene Gibbs Street turning towards downtown Charleston onto Folly Road.
- Additional lane added to Rivers Point Row westbound approaching Folly Road to provide dedicated lanes for left turns, through traffic, and right turns.
- Traffic signal timings will be switched to serve the new traffic patterns.
"The Folly Road at Camp Road Intersection Improvements Project on James Island involves improvements to Folly Road from about 1,000 feet south of Camp Road to the intersection with Eugene Gibbs Street and Rivers Point Row, and improvements to Camp Road from West Madison Avenue to Oyster Point Row," said Charleston County officials."The improvements will relieve traffic congestion and localized flooding by adding turn lanes and upsizing drainage pipes. Bike lanes and sidewalks will also be added."