Whitlock superb but RiverDogs lose

Whitlock superb but RiverDogs lose
Charleston RiverDogs (Source: RiverDogs)

Greensboro, NC - Right-hander Garrett Whitlock tore through seven shutout innings and the RiverDogs jumped out to 2-0 lead after one, but Greensboro came back to win, 3-2, with a rare eighth inning rally off the bullpen in Sunday afternoon's finale from First National Bank Field.

Whitlock gave up a pair of first inning singles, and clamped down from there, allowing no hits the rest of the way and retiring the final 15 men he faced before Charleston (7-10) handed the ball to the bullpen in the eighth. The former UAB Blazer notched four strikeouts while coaxing the Grasshoppers into 15 ground ball outs and using just 80 pitches to get trough the seven strong, the longest start of his professional career.

Greensboro (10-6) rallied to claim their third one-run victory in the series, scoring all three off RiverDogs reliever Brian Trieglaff (1-1). Catcher BJ Lopez reached on a clean single into left before Zach Sullivan and Sam Castro each reached on bunt hits, both on bang-bang plays at first. Left fielder Aaron Knapp delivered with an RBI knock into right, shortstop Jose Devers grounded into a double play that scored another, and right fielder Isael Soto launched a first pitch into left field for a double that plated the go-ahead run.

Charleston's bullpen entered play with a 0.78 ERA before the three runs were charged to Trieglaff, who suffered the loss. It marked Greensboro's second come from behind win of the series and their SAL-leading eighth one-run victory of the season.

Charleston tallied both their runs in the opening frame. With one out, second baseman Oswaldo Cabrera roped a first pitch into right field for a single and advanced 180 feet on a pair of wild pitches before scoring on Chris Hess' sacrifice fly (good for his team-leading 11th RBI of the season). After designated hitter Dalton Blaser was plunked, he scored on Leonardo Molina's double that tailed into the right field corner.

Cabrera finished 3-for-4 in the Venezuelan teenager's first three-hit game of the season.

The contest lasted just 1 hour and 54 minutes, Charleston's shortest game of the season nine innings or otherwise.

-per Charleston RiverDogs