Entrance fees going up at Fort Sumter in 2019, 2020

Entrance fees going up at Fort Sumter in 2019, 2020
Fort Sumter fees are about to go up (Source: Live 5)

CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - It's about to cost a little more to visit Fort Sumter.

Currently, the entrance fee is $3 per person. but it will go up to $7 beginning January 1, 2019 and jump up again to $10 in 2020.

The changes are in response to public comments on a fee proposal in October 2017, according to the parks service. They will modestly increase entrance fees to raise additional revenue to address the $11.6 billion in deferred maintenance across the system of 417 parks, historic and cultural sites, and monuments.

The National Parks Service says 80 percent of the money stays in the park where it's collected while the other 20 percent is used to help projects at other national parks. Repairing and maintaining facilities, improving park infrastructure, enhancing visitor programs and services, and protecting park resources.

Copyright 2018 WCSC. All rights reserved.