Quantcast

No injuries reported in fire during renovation at downtown cond - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

No injuries reported in fire during renovation at downtown condo

Firefighters say a contractor sparked a fire in a vacant condo during renovation work. (Source: Charleston Fire Dept.) Firefighters say a contractor sparked a fire in a vacant condo during renovation work. (Source: Charleston Fire Dept.)
CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) -

The Charleston Fire Marshal says construction crews accidentally sparked a fire in a vacant condo Tuesday afternoon.

Firefighters responded to the fire at 33 Calhoun Street at approximately 1 p.m. at the five story Classic Charleston Condos building, according Charleston Fire Marshal Mike Julazedeh.

Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the north side of the building along the exterior balcony.

Investigators say contractors were cutting and removing the exterior wall covering on the building when their operation ignited combustible material in the wall cavity. 

The fire sprinkler head designed to protect the balcony area where the fire began had been disabled as part of the ongoing renovation, Julazedeh said.

No residents were displaced as a result of the fire, he said.

Fire officials offered the following reminders for construction and contractor crews:

  • Hot work procedures must be in place during any cutting, welding, or similar operations.
  • Fire watch must be maintained during and after any hot work is conducted.
  • Fire protection system should not be disabled without proper precautions and approvals.

The fire department was able to respond to the scene less than three minutes from the call.

Nearby streets were closed for approximately an hour after the fire was brought under control.

Copyright 2018 WCSC. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly