ISLE OF PALMS, SC (WCSC) - The Isle of Palms police department wants to warn residents about possible vacation rental scams as the summer season nears.
They advise it's always safest to use a rental company so you can verify you are renting a legitimate property. They added many scammers highjack ads of legitimate rental companies using the photos and address that the owner or property manager has posted.
The IOP police also offered some tips about potential scammers.
- Be wary of anyone asking you to wire money
- Do an internet search of the address to see where else the property is listed. Also, do a reverse image search on photos to see where else the property is listed.
- Ask yourself if the deal seems too good to be true
- Look up property records to see if the owner is the right person
- Check out the feedback of other renters on sites like VRBO
Scams can be reported to the IOP Police investigations division at 843-886-6522.