Quantcast

TROPICS: Lowcountry expected to get heavy rainfall as subtropica - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

TROPICS: Lowcountry expected to get heavy rainfall as subtropical storm Alberto approaches Gulf Coast

Subtropical storm Alberto expected to head to Gulf Coast with heavy rainfall expected in the Lowcountry. (Source: Live 5 News) Subtropical storm Alberto expected to head to Gulf Coast with heavy rainfall expected in the Lowcountry. (Source: Live 5 News)
Rainfall amounts expected across the U.S. (Source: NHC) Rainfall amounts expected across the U.S. (Source: NHC)
CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) -

Although subtropical storm Alberto is not heading in our direction, the Lowcountry is expected to feel effects in the form of heavy rainfall starting later this weekend. 

The first named storm formed in the Gulf of Mexico Friday and it's currently meandering over the northwestern Carribbean sea. 

Alberto is currently located on latitude 19.4 north and longitude 85.7 west with 40 mph winds. It's expected to move slowly north through the weekend before making a turn to the northwest with an expected landfall in the southern portions of Mississippi and Alabama. 

Chief Meteorologist Bill Walsh says the Lowcountry will begin to feel the effects of Alberto with heavy rainfall late Sunday through Memorial Day. 

"The thing about this storm is that it's pulling a lot of rain, and it's not confined to the center but the outer bands as well," Walsh said Friday night. 

At this point, Walsh says we're anticipating an inch to an inch in a half of rainfall Sunday that could continue to increase into Wednesday and Thursday. 

Currently, there is a 30% chance of rain on Saturday, 70% on Sunday, and 80% on Monday. 

The storm is expected to pass to the east of the Yucatan Peninsula Friday night and emerge into the Gulf by Saturday. 

Heavy rain is expected to impact the central gulf coast and southeastern U.S.later this weekend and into early next week.

Flooding could be a risk as the NHC expects the storm to move slower as it moves inland. 

Hurricane season begins on June 1.

Copyright 2018 WCSC. All rights reserved.

  • NEWS LocalNEWSMore>>

  • Police investigating after man shot in leg at N. Charleston apartment complex

    Police investigating after man shot in leg at N. Charleston apartment complex

    Wednesday, August 15 2018 9:13 AM EDT2018-08-15 13:13:07 GMT
    (source: AP)(source: AP)

    North Charleston and Charleston police are responding to a high priority incident along Old Pine Circle in North Charleston, according to the Charleston County dispatch. 

    More >>

    North Charleston and Charleston police are responding to a high priority incident along Old Pine Circle in North Charleston, according to the Charleston County dispatch. 

    More >>
  • Committee looking into possible shuttle between IOP and Mt. Pleasant

    Committee looking into possible shuttle between IOP and Mt. Pleasant

    Wednesday, August 15 2018 8:41 AM EDT2018-08-15 12:41:11 GMT
    The HOP shuttle already provides service to downtown Charleston for many hospitality workers (Source: Live 5)The HOP shuttle already provides service to downtown Charleston for many hospitality workers (Source: Live 5)
    The HOP shuttle already provides service to downtown Charleston for many hospitality workers (Source: Live 5)The HOP shuttle already provides service to downtown Charleston for many hospitality workers (Source: Live 5)
    The Isle of Palms Public Safety Committee will be discussing the possibility of a shuttle that would run between the island and Mount Pleasant on Wednesday night. It’s not the first time they’ve discussed this. In the past, the city has found that people didn’t want to use it, because of all the beach items, like chairs and umbrellas, people would be bringing back and forth. Councilmember Ward noted that places like Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head have banned those ki...More >>
    The Isle of Palms Public Safety Committee will be discussing the possibility of a shuttle that would run between the island and Mount Pleasant on Wednesday night. It’s not the first time they’ve discussed this. In the past, the city has found that people didn’t want to use it, because of all the beach items, like chairs and umbrellas, people would be bringing back and forth. Councilmember Ward noted that places like Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head have banned those ki...More >>
  • S.C. comptroller urges caution as state ends budget year with $177 surplus

    S.C. comptroller urges caution as state ends budget year with $177 surplus

    Wednesday, August 15 2018 6:13 PM EDT2018-08-15 22:13:03 GMT
    State officials say South Carolina ended the latest budget year with a surplus of $177 million. (Source: AP)State officials say South Carolina ended the latest budget year with a surplus of $177 million. (Source: AP)
    State officials say South Carolina ended the latest budget year with a surplus of $177 million. (Source: AP)State officials say South Carolina ended the latest budget year with a surplus of $177 million. (Source: AP)

    State officials say South Carolina ended the latest budget year with a surplus of $177 million. 

    More >>

    State officials say South Carolina ended the latest budget year with a surplus of $177 million. 

    More >>
Powered by Frankly