Gov. Henry McMaster calls for approval of I-526 extension over James, Johns Island

Gov. Henry McMaster. (Source: Twitter)
Gov. Henry McMaster. (Source: Twitter)

CHARLESTON COUNTY, SC (WCSC) - A project thought to be long dead may have new life after Gov. Henry McMaster renewed a call to complete I-526 soon.

McMaster told the State Infrastructure Bank that he's willing to do whatever it takes to complete I-526, according to spokesperson Brian Symmes. The move comes less than two weeks after the closure of the westbound lanes of the Wando Bridge because of a snapped cable.

McMaster also had previously sent a letter to SCDOT telling them to create a I-526 crossover lane near the bridge, a move which eventually happened, but has still caused traffic issues around the Lowcountry.

Two-and-a-half weeks ago, McMaster sent a separate letter to State Infrastructure Bank chairman John White asking the board not to take any action that would kill the I-526 completion project. 

"If I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me," McMaster wrote in the last line of his letter to White.

State rep. Leon Stavrinakis and State sen. Sandy Senn were two people who received a phone call from McMaster Friday voicing his opinion on the I-526 completion.

"...McMaster is making his intentions known at the SCDOT and at the State Infrastructure Bank so that the project gets moving again ASAP," Stavrinakis said in a Facebook post.

Back in 2006, the estimated cost to fund the project was $425 million. Now it sits at $725 million.to extend the interstate across James and Johns Island.

Copyright 2018 WCSC. All rights reserved.