Fire crew responds to early morning smoke scare in Beaufort County

Fire crew responds to early morning smoke scare in Beaufort County
Bay Street Pizza restaurant causes smoke scare early Sunday morning (Source: City of Beaufort/Town of Port Royal)
Smoke scare caused by pizza restaurant oven, fire crew say (Source: City of Beaufort/Town of Port Royal)
Smoke scare caused by pizza restaurant oven, fire crew say (Source: City of Beaufort/Town of Port Royal)

BEAUFORT COUNTY, SC (WCSC) - The Beaufort Police Department and the City of Beaufort firefighters responded to an early morning smoke scare at a pizza restaurant on Sunday.

At approximately 2:00 a.m., firefighters responded to reports of smoke emitting from the side of the Hearth Pizza restaurant building on Bay Street.

According to Fire Chief Reece Bertholf, the smoke was emitting from a vent on the side of the building.

The fire crew says the cause of the smoke was a wood-fired pizza oven had been shut down for the night and that some firewood that had been pre-staged in the oven for the next day had heated to a point that it was smoldering.

There were no active flames. Bay Street was shut down for about an hour.

No one was hurt during the incident.

Copyright 2018 WCSC. All rights reserved.