2 children, 2 adults escape intense fire at Walterboro home

2 children, 2 adults escape intense fire at Walterboro home
Flames come from the roof of a home in Walterboro Tuesday. (Source: Colleton Fire Department)
Flames come from the roof of a home in Walterboro Tuesday. (Source: Colleton Fire Department)

WALTERBORO, SC (WCSC) - Four people barely escaped a home fire early Tuesday morning in Walterboro.

The people inside the house, two of them children, were awoken by smoke inside the house, according to Colleton County fire chief Barry McRoy. All of them climbed out of a master bedroom window to safety.

Fire crews arrived a short time later with flames coming from the roof over the garage, McRoy said. One crew attacked through the garage while another came through the front door. The fire was into the kitchen area, but firefighters quickly doused the flames. Fire then spread through the attic, causing the firefighters to pull down the ceiling in order to get to it.

The majority of the structure and most personal items were saved and no injuries were reported. The home did not have any working smoke detectors, according to McRoy.

The fire was believed to have started in a utility room off the garage and was electrical in nature. Crews were on-scene for four hours, McRoy said.

Copyright 2018 WCSC. All rights reserved.