Quantcast

South African police kill man after fatal mosque attack - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

South African police kill man after fatal mosque attack

By CHRISTOPHER TORCHIA
Associated Press

JOHANNESBURG (AP) - A man fatally stabbed two people on Thursday and wounded several others at a mosque near Cape Town before police shot and killed the attacker, authorities said.

The assailant, believed to be in his thirties, charged police who had tried to persuade him to surrender after the attack in Malmesbury in Western Cape province, police said.

"He ignored the calls and tried to attack police. He was shot and killed in the process," said a statement from police, who did not immediately comment on a possible motive for the attack.

A man said his father had been sleeping in the Malmesbury mosque when he was killed just ahead of the end of the holy month of Ramadan.

Suad Bassa, son of Ismail Bassa, said in an interview with the News24 outlet that the attacker also injured his brother when they confronted him.

"It's sad, but Allah has taken him away in the place that he loved the most," Suad Bassa said.

News24 video footage showed the body of the attacker lying in an open area cordoned off by police tape.

On May 10, assailants killed one person and injured two others in a similar attack on a mosque in the eastern town of Verulam, near Durban. No arrests have been made.

South Africa's Muslim Judicial Council said it was "shocked to its core" by the attack in Malmesbury and that its president and his deputies were heading to the mosque.

"We do not have any further details as yet but we urge the community not to jump to any conclusions until clarity can be given," the council said.

The Democratic Alliance, an opposition party that runs Western Cape province, condemned the attack and said South Africans have the right to religious freedom.

"An attack on people while they worship is a direct attack on the constitution and the freedoms we enjoy in this country," the party said.

Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • NationalMore>>

  • Bucks' Sterling Brown sues Milwaukee over stun-gun arrest

    Bucks' Sterling Brown sues Milwaukee over stun-gun arrest

    Tuesday, June 19 2018 11:32 AM EDT2018-06-19 15:32:35 GMT
    Wednesday, June 20 2018 3:52 AM EDT2018-06-20 07:52:08 GMT
    This Jan. 26, 2018 police body-camera footage released by Milwaukee Police Department shows NBA Bucks guard Sterling Brown as he talks to arresting police officers after being shot by a stun gun in a Walgreens parking lot. (Milwaukee Police Dept/AP)This Jan. 26, 2018 police body-camera footage released by Milwaukee Police Department shows NBA Bucks guard Sterling Brown as he talks to arresting police officers after being shot by a stun gun in a Walgreens parking lot. (Milwaukee Police Dept/AP)

    Milwaukee Bucks guard Sterling Brown is suing the city and its police department because officers used a stun gun on him during his arrest for a parking violation in January.

    More >>

    Milwaukee Bucks guard Sterling Brown is suing the city and its police department because officers used a stun gun on him during his arrest for a parking violation in January.

    More >>
  • 'Say bye to him': Detainee recounts agents taking her son

    'Say bye to him': Detainee recounts agents taking her son

    Tuesday, June 19 2018 1:31 PM EDT2018-06-19 17:31:01 GMT
    Wednesday, June 20 2018 3:41 AM EDT2018-06-20 07:41:32 GMT
    (Blanca Orantes-Lopez via AP). In this self portrait taken in Mexico in May 2018, Blanca Orantes-Lopez poses for a photo with her 8-year-old son, Abel Alexander, during the monthlong journey from their hometown of Puerto La Libertad, El Salvador, to th...(Blanca Orantes-Lopez via AP). In this self portrait taken in Mexico in May 2018, Blanca Orantes-Lopez poses for a photo with her 8-year-old son, Abel Alexander, during the monthlong journey from their hometown of Puerto La Libertad, El Salvador, to th...
    'Don't leave me, Mom': Woman from El Salvador describes separation from 8-year-old son after crossing border.More >>
    'Don't leave me, Mom': Woman from El Salvador describes separation from 8-year-old son after crossing border.More >>
  • Hearing set for California parents accused of shackling kids

    Hearing set for California parents accused of shackling kids

    Wednesday, June 20 2018 2:41 AM EDT2018-06-20 06:41:05 GMT
    Wednesday, June 20 2018 3:32 AM EDT2018-06-20 07:32:37 GMT
    (Watchara Phomicinda/The Press-Enterprise via AP, Pool). FILE - In this May 4, 2018, file photo, defendant Louise Anna Turpin, second left, talks with an investigator as her husband David Allen Turpin, right, looks on during a court appearance in River...(Watchara Phomicinda/The Press-Enterprise via AP, Pool). FILE - In this May 4, 2018, file photo, defendant Louise Anna Turpin, second left, talks with an investigator as her husband David Allen Turpin, right, looks on during a court appearance in River...
    Prosecutors are expected to make their case against a Southern California couple accused of starving and shackling some of their 13 children.More >>
    Prosecutors are expected to make their case against a Southern California couple accused of starving and shackling some of their 13 children.More >>
Powered by Frankly