CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - On Wednesday afternoon, President Donald Trump signed an executive order ending the policy of separating children at the border with Mexico.
The 'no tolerance' policy criminally prosecutes all adults crossing the Southwest border which led to children being separated from their parents.
The National Action Network hosted a rally at the Custom House in Downtown Charleston to protest the policy before it was overturned.
"At a young age, I'm sure I got lost in the supermarket once or twice and that was a terrifying experience," said 16-year-old Owen Millers who protested on Wednesday."So I can hardly imagine how awful it is to be so young and susceptible and have someone rip you from the arms of your parents and take you to an unknown land."
Several people gathered with signs as they spoke out.
"It's just a nightmare to see this happening as a mother, as a social worker, as a community member," said one woman at the protest.
So far nearly 2,000 children were separated from their parents over the course of six weeks.
Five children who were separated at the US-Mexico border are currently in South Carolina foster homes through Lutheran Services Carolinas.
The children in South Carolina range in age from 7 to 11.
Lutheran Services Carolinas say they try to provide the children with an experience that other children would have.
They attend school with a Spanish speaking staff, go on field trips and have access to therapy.
They are often traumatized by the separation and have access to mental health services.
Just a few hours after the rally ended, President Donald Trump signed his executive order to keep families together.
South Carolina Governor Henry McMaster expressed his support for the policy during a recent visit to Charleston.
The zero tolerance policy will still be in place.
All adults caught crossing the border illegally will be prosecuted.
The order will aim to keep families together while the parents are in custody.