Quantcast

A manager told an employee with a child on life support, 'If you - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

A manager told an employee with a child on life support, 'If you can't come to work, that's you quitting'

Crystal Reynolds Fisher's 18-year-old son, Jason, is on life support with a fever in Ann Arbor, MI. (Source: Gofundme) Crystal Reynolds Fisher's 18-year-old son, Jason, is on life support with a fever in Ann Arbor, MI. (Source: Gofundme)

ALBION, MI (RNN) - A gas station manager was fired after her interaction with an employee facing a family medical emergency caught the attention of people on Facebook.

Crystal Reynolds Fisher's 18-year-old son, Jason, is on life support with a fever in Ann Arbor, MI, she told WWMT. She said doctors suspect he may be suffering from cellulitis sepsis (commonly known as blood poisoning), but they aren't sure.

Fisher posted the texts from her boss on Saturday with the explanation, "So my son is on life support and I tell my boss 48 hours before I am to work again that I will not be able to work until my son is off life support and this is what she tells me!"

The texts includes her boss telling her, "This isn't how we do things, so I accept that you're quitting."

Fisher responded, "Ok so how do we do things when my child is on life support? I never said I was quitting so I take it ur firing me?"

The manager replied, "If you can't come to work that's you quitting. ... I will not get into with you on here but I've been more than accommodating during this allowing schedule changes and such. There is no reason you can't work and I will not tolerate drama. End of conversation."

She added later on, "We don't just get to come and go as we please at Folk Oil."

Her post was shared nearly 70,000 times since Saturday.

The personnel situation caught the attention of Folk Oil, who took swift action, announcing Monday that the manager no longer works for the company.

"We investigated and have found that the situation was handled improperly and without the compassion that we value as a company," the company said. "For that, we are very sorry."

They also reassured the employee that she "will be able to take all the time off that she needs during this difficult period."Her 18-year-son, Jason, is on life support. (Source: Gofundme)

In most circumstances, people who face family medical emergencies can take time off work under the Family and Medical Leave Act.

Fisher set up a GoFundMe account to pay for gas for the drive to and from the hospital.

Copyright 2018 Raycom News Network. All rights reserved.

• Social media newsMore>>

Zuckerberg's Holocaust comment puts Facebook on the spot

Wednesday, July 18 2018 6:08 PM EDT2018-07-18 22:08:46 GMT
    Friday, July 20 2018 4:48 PM EDT2018-07-20 20:48:23 GMT
    Mark Zuckerberg says he doesn't believe Holocaust denial content should be banned from Facebook. (Source: CNN)Mark Zuckerberg says he doesn't believe Holocaust denial content should be banned from Facebook. (Source: CNN)

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg says that while he finds Holocaust denial "deeply offensive," he doesn't believe that such content should be banned from Facebook.

More >>

More >>

UK investigators probe Russian access to Facebook data

Wednesday, July 18 2018 10:21 AM EDT2018-07-18 14:21:35 GMT
    Thursday, July 19 2018 5:36 PM EDT2018-07-19 21:36:37 GMT
    British authorities looking into inappropriate use of data gathered by political consultant Cambridge Analytica from millions of Facebook users say some of the systems that accessed the material appear to be in Russia. (Source: Facebook)British authorities looking into inappropriate use of data gathered by political consultant Cambridge Analytica from millions of Facebook users say some of the systems that accessed the material appear to be in Russia. (Source: Facebook)

More >>

British authorities looking into inappropriate use of data gathered by political consultant Cambridge Analytica from millions of Facebook users say some of the systems that accessed the material appear to be in Russia or a group of former Soviet states.

More >>

APNewsBreak: Twitter suspended 58 million accounts in 4Q

Tuesday, July 17 2018 3:08 PM EDT2018-07-17 19:08:30 GMT
    Thursday, July 19 2018 5:22 PM EDT2018-07-19 21:22:13 GMT
    APNewsBreak: Twitter has suspended more than 58 million user accounts in the final three months of 2017, according to data obtained by The Associated Press.More >>
Powered by Frankly