CHARLESTON COUNTY, SC (WCSC) - The rural public transit provider, TriCounty Link, has new routes that start on Tuesday.
In addition, nearly every existing one will be impacted.
The changes follow a recent Comprehensive Operational Analysis and public input meetings that will increase efficiency, provide better connections and expand service.
"As long as they are on the route, we ask that they stand in a safe place, and again signal to the driver as the bus approaches, and the bus will pick them up anywhere along that route," Berkley-Charleston-Dorchester Council of Governments Marketing and Communications Manager Michelle Emerson said.
The analysis identified strengths and weaknesses with the system. TriCounty Link's website says most routes will have minor changes however some are more extensive. A spokesperson for the bus service also said they had public meetings to get feedback.
There's a reciprocal agreement between Carta and TriCounty Link. That means you can pay to get on TriCounty Link and you can transfer to Carta for free or you can pay for a Carta ride and get onto TriCounty Link for free.
Routes Commuter Solution 6, Commuter Solution 7 and B104 (Bonneau/Moncks Corner) have been consolidated with other routes or completely renamed and will no longer operate.
All the route changes are available here.
- New destinations along Old Trolley Road, Midland Parkway and Ladson Road; serves Bacons Bridge Bi-Lo, Hwy. 17A Walmart and HealthSouth, with connection to CARTA.
Johns/James Island/West Service:
- C204 (Johns Island/West Ashley): Former C204 Johns Island Blue Route will now service Freshfields; endpoint of the Mt. Zion school; CARTA connection at Citadel Mall.
- C205 (Johns Island/James Island): Former C204 Green-Johns Island Green; route will service James Island Walmart, Riverland Drive and Senior Center, as well as a portion of River Rd. on John’s Island. Connection to CARTA Express Route 1 and Route 31 at Walmart.
* Route will no longer service Citadel Mall. Passengers will be able to transfer to John's Island/West Ashley route; will no longer service Old Pond Rd.?
- C202 (Hollywood/Ravenel): New route providing service along Hwy. 17 in the Ravenel, Hwy. 165 and Hwy. 162 in Hollywood. Operates Monday-Friday, twice daily, morning and evening, with a focus on employment transportation. CARTA connection at Citadel Mall