MACON, GA (WCSC/The Citadel Athletics) - Rod Johnson returned a kickoff 94 yards for a touchdown with less than one minute to play to give The Citadel a thrilling, 38-31, victory over Mercer Saturday afternoon at Five Star Stadium.
How it Happened
· After allowing Mercer to get out to a 7-0 lead, the Bulldogs ran out the remaining 6:49 of the first quarter with a 14-play drive that ended with a Jordan Black 25-yard touchdown run.
· Mercer would score the next 10 points and look to take that lead into the half, but the Bulldogs had other plans. With 15 seconds left in the half, Black found Raleigh Webb on the post for 77-yard touchdown.
· The Citadel trailed again by 10 points after the Bears scored on the opening drive of the third quarter. The Bulldogs responded with their longest drive of the season, a 19-play drive that ended with a 27-yard field goal from Jacob Godek
· Grant Drakeford would tie the game early in the fourth quarter with a four-yard touchdown run.
· The drive was set up after a Khafari Buffalo leaping interception.
· The defense came up with a big stop to force a punt on the Bears next possession.
· Drakeford continued his big day by breaking off a 61-yard run that set up Johnson’s five-yard score to give the Bulldogs their first lead of the game.
· The Bears would answer right back to tie the game with just over a minute to play on a touchdown catch from David Durden.