Health department launches investigation after woman dies eating raw oysters

She was a former North Dakota lawmaker

Health department launches investigation after woman dies eating raw oysters
Former lawmaker Rae Ann Kelsch died from a bacterial infection after eating raw oysters. (Twitter) (Source: Twitter)

NEW ORLEANS (WVUE) - A former North Dakota state lawmaker who was hospitalized in New Orleans after suffering a bacterial infection from raw oysters has died, according to a report.

Rae Ann Kelsch passed away Tuesday morning at the age of 58. She was hospitalized over the weekend.

Doctors believe her heart “just gave out” after getting the infection.

She was visiting her niece and nephew, according to the Grand Forks Hearld.

Kelsch was a registered lobbyist at the time of her death.

The report did not say where she was eating when she had the oysters.

The Louisiana Department of Health released this statement about the death:

“The Department of Health was made aware of this unfortunate situation. We have reached out to the family and we have begun our formal investigation. Investigations such as these are confidential.”

Wednesday, the Louisiana Department of Health released a follow up statement with more details about the investigation:

“Our team, along with the North Dakota Health Department, is investigating this case. Our investigations are confidential but I can tell you investigations include many components including reviewing clinical information and reviewing information about where the oysters were harvested. Our team is moving as quickly as possible to determine whether this isolated case presents any larger risk to the public. We will alert the media and the public if necessary for public safety and awareness.”

Copyright 2018 WVUE. All rights reserved.