CHARLESTON, S.C. – Backed by nine runs from the offense, junior right-handed pitcher Cam Weinberger cruised to his first win of 2019 tossing eight innings of one-run ball leading Charleston Southern to a 9-1 win over College of Charleston.
Ryan Stoudemire sent a home run to left center to headline the Charleston Southern (6-12) offense while Weinberger held rival College of Charleston (10-6) to just five hits and one run Wednesday at CSU Ballpark.
Both Weinberger and Trent Joiner traded zeros across the first three frames before Charleston Southern broke-through with a five-run fourth – their best run-scoring inning of the season. CofC scratched through for one run in the sixth, but couldn’t provide enough offense to match the Bucs.
Jason Miller began the quick-strike with an RBI single before Alex Andronica added an RBI knock and Stoudemire blasted a ball to left field for a 5-0 lead. The Bucs added three-more in the fifth on a wild pitch then Miller’s second RBI single and a Kyle Horton run-scoring knock for an 8-0 lead.
CofC scratched across their lone run of the night in the sixth after Bradley Dixon singled, stole second and advanced on a passed ball before racing home on an RBI groundout by Logan McRae.
The win evened the season series at 1-1 with each team taking a game on their home field. CSU also improved to a perfect 2-0 at CSU Ballpark versus Lowcountry rivals CofC and The Citadel.
How They Scored
- After getting runners on and leaving the bases loaded in the first, CSU broke through with a five-run fourth thanks to RBI singles from Jason Miller and Alex Andronica.
- Ryan Stoudemire blasted his fourth home run of the season, this one a three-run shot to extend the lead and break the game open at 5-0.
- The Bucs were quick to add on with three more in the fifth inning thanks to a wild pitch, Miller’s second RBI single and a run-producing knock from Kyle Horton.
- CofC scratched a run across in the top of the sixth as Bradley Dixon singled, stole second and advanced to third setting up an RBI groundout from Logan McRae.
- Alex Andronica added a second RBI single in the seventh inning to push the lead back to eight at 9-1 for the Bucs.
News and Notes
- Junior right-handed pitcher Cam Weinberger tossed a gem for the Bucs allowing just one earned run across eight innings while striking out three. The eight frames were a season-high for Weinberger providing the third-straight quality start for the Buccaneer pitching staff.
- Senior infielder Jason Miller had his third multi-hit game of the season and drove in two runs to get the offense going. Miller also reached safely on a walk in the seventh giving him his third game reaching first at least three times.
- Ryan Stoudemire crushed his fourth home run of the season collecting RBI’s number 11, 12 and 13 with the three-run shot.
- The win knotted the season series at 1-1 with CSU and CofC taking each matchup on their home field thus far. CSU also moved to 2-0 at CSU Ballpark versus Lowcountry foes after a 10-5 win over The Citadel.
- CSU has scored 19 runs in their two home games versus Charleston rivals on 24 hits.