ROCK HILL, S.C. – The Citadel freshman Ches Goodman collected his first hit and RBI in the Bulldogs 8-1 loss at Winthrop Wednesday evening.
Score: Winthrop 8, The Citadel 1
Records: Winthrop (11-9), The Citadel (7-14)
Location: Rock Hill, South Carolina (Winthrop Ballpark)
- The Eagles got two, two-out hits in the sixth inning that scored three runs to make it a four-run game.
How it Happened
- The Eagles got on the board in the third inning as a walk, single and sacrifice bunt put two runners in scoring position. A base hit plated one run and an error on the play allowed a second run to score.
- The ‘Dogs got a run back in the fourth after Tyler Corbitt singled and came in to score on Ches Goodman’s two-out double to the base of the wall in right center.
- Winthrop extended its lead in the sixth as they pushed across three runs, all with two outs. Matt Levenson drove in a run with a base hit, and Tyler Baker followed with a two-run single to left center.
- The Eagles put the game away in the eighth as a run-scoring single from Tyler Baker and two-run single from Hunter Lipscomb extended the lead to seven.
Inside the Box Score
- Cameron Reeves (0-2) had a strong outing in his return home. The freshman allowed three runs, two earned, on just four hits and three strikeouts over five-plus innings.
- Lathan Todd was effective out of the bullpen as he gave up one hit and struck out one in his 1.1 innings of work.
- Hunter Barbee made his season debut and got out of a bases-loaded jam with a 5-3 double play.
- Bryan Petta (1-0) picked up the win after giving up one run on two hits and two strikeouts over four innings.
- Jeffery Brown led the offense with a pair of singles and his team-best 14th stolen base.
- Ches Good collected his first career hit, a RBI double to right center in the fourth.
- Tyler Corbitt singled in the fourth and has now collected at least one hit in 19 of the 21 games this season.