TAMPA, Fla. – The Citadel allowed four runs in the fifth inning to break a tie game in falling, 9-1, to USF Thursday evening at the USF Baseball Complex.
Score: USF 9, The Citadel 1
Records: The Citadel (10-26) USF (16-20)
Series: USF leads 1-0
Location: Tampa, Florida (USF Baseball Stadium)
- The Bulldogs put runners on the corners with no outs in the fifth inning, but were unable to score.
- The Bulls responded by scoring four runs in the home-half of the inning.
How it Happened
- The Citadel got on the board early as Ryan McCarthy beat out an infield single and stole second.
- Tyler Corbitt singled into the hole at short to put runners on the corners, and Ben Peden drove in McCarthy with a groundout to the right side.
- The Bulls tied the game in the third after a leadoff single came around to score on a Joe Genord single to left.
- USF took control of the game in the fifth after a solo home run from Jake Sullivan gave the Bulls the lead.
- They would add three more runs in the inning with the damage being done on a two-run double from Chris Chatfield.
- USF broke the game open in the eighth on a grand slam off the bat of Chatfield.
Inside the Box Score
- Jordan Merritt (3-5) was saddled with the loss after giving up five runs on eight hits in 4.1 innings.
- Ches Goodman entered the game in the fifth and retired the two hitters he faced, including a strikeout.
- The Bulldogs got shutout innings of relief from Jordan Buster and Morgan Foulks.
- Baron Stuart (2-2) picked up the victory after allowing just one run on five hits over 8.0 innings.
- Ryan McCarthy led the offense by going 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- McCarthy also stole two bases.
- Ben Peden collected a single and drove in a run.
- The Bulldogs escaped damage in the sixth inning as they got a 3-6-3 double play with runners on the corners and one out.