Lightning sparks house fire in Mt. Pleasant

Lightning sparks house fire in Mt. Pleasant

CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - A lightning strike caused a home to catch fire in the Old Village of Friday.

Witnesses saw lightning hit the second story of a home on Church Street near Coleman Boulevard, said Batallion Chief Ken LaMonte with the Mt. Pleasant Fire Department.

Neighbors reported hearing a loud crack right before the fire started.

A spokesperson from MPFD said attack teams found the interior of the second-story wall had flames burning into the support beams.

(Source: Live 5 News)
(Source: Live 5 News)

Firefighters got the fire under control by 2:42 p.m.

There was some charring and flames found on the rear side of the building.

No one was home at the time of the fire, LaMonte said.

Copyright 2019 WCSC. All rights reserved.