TAMPA, Fla. – The Citadel had one of their better offensive days Saturday afternoon, but the Bulldogs dropped a doubleheader, 7-2 and 12-9, to USF at the USF Baseball Complex.
Score: USF 7-12, The Citadel 2-9
Records: The Citadel (10-28) USF (18-20)
Series: USF wins series 3-0
Location: Tampa, Florida (USF Baseball Stadium)
- The Citadel jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the third as Will Bastian led off with a base on balls and advanced to second on a wild pitch.
- After a sacrifice bunt from J.D. Davis, Ryan McCarthy drove in Bastian with a groundout to the right side.
- Tilo Skole followed with a base hit up the middle and scored when Tyler Corbitt’s fly ball to deep right was mishandled by the right fielder.
- The Bulls got a run back in the bottom of the inning on a Jordan Santos single through the right side.
- USF took the lead in the fourth inning as Joe Genord hit a three-run homer to left to cap a six run inning.
Inside the Box Score
- Shane Connolly (3-4) suffered the loss after allowing seven runs on 10 hits over 4.0 innings.
- Alex Bialakis allowed two hits in shutout innings.
- Ian Foggo struck out two in his two scoreless innings.
- Collin Sullivan (3-3) picked up the win after allowing two runs, one earned, on four hits over 6.0 innings.
- Tyler Corbitt led the offense with a pair of hits and two stolen bases.
- The ‘Dogs finished with nine hits, getting one from eight of the nine spots in the order.
- The Bulldogs jumped out to a hot start as Ryan McCarthy hit the first pitch of the game over the wall in center field for a solo shot.
- After three-straight walks loaded the bases, Bryce Leasure singled through the left side to score a run.
- Back-to-back walks to Lane Botkin and J.D. Davis scored two more runs before McCarthy beat out an infield single for his second RBI of the inning. A throwing error on the play allowed the sixth run of the inning to cross the plate.
- USF answered back with two runs in the home-half of the inning.
- The Citadel got the two runs back in the third inning as Wes Lane doubled on the first pitch of the inning. A walk to Botkin set up Davis’ two-run double just inside the third-base bag.
- After the Bulls got a run in the third, they took advantage of a fielding error to score unearned runs in the fourth inning to take a one run lead.
- The ‘Dogs quickly tied the game in the next half inning when McCarthy sliced a single through the left side to score Leasure.
- The scoring continued for the Bulls in the bottom of the inning as a sacrifice fly from Jordan Santos gave the lead back to the Bulls.
Inside the Box Score
- Ryan McCarthy led the offense by going 3-for-5 with three RBIs. He started the game with his third home run of the season.
- J.D. Davis delivered two hits and drove in three runs.
- The Bulldogs drew nine walks, with Ben Peden, Cole Simpson and Lane Botkin each drawing two.
- Jordan Flanders (0-4) was saddled with the loss after giving up three runs, two earned, on five hits over 2.2 innings.
- Richie Cruz (2-1) picked up the victory after not allowing a run over the final 4.2 innings.