GREENSBORO, N.C. – The Citadel freshman designated hitter Ches Goodman hit the first two home runs of his career in the Bulldogs 8-3 loss to UNCG Sunday afternoon.
Score: UNCG 8, The Citadel 3
Records: UNCG (26-15, 8-7 SoCon), The Citadel 10-32, 3-12 SoCon)
Series: UNCG wins series 3-0
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina (UNCG Baseball Stadium)
How it Happened
· The Spartans got on the board in the first inning as they collected four hits, getting RBI singles from Zach Kuchmaner and Hogan Windish.
· The ‘Dogs got a run back in the second inning on a Goodman solo home run to left.
· UNCG would answer back with two runs in the second and two unearned runs in the third.
· The Spartans pushed the advantage to seven runs in the sixth inning on a wild pitch and a RBI groundout from Greg Hardison.
· The Citadel got the two runs back in the top of the seventh after Andrew Judkins singled and then trotted home on Goodman’s second long ball of the day.
Inside the Box Score
· Ches Goodman hit the first two home runs of his career. He finished the game 3-for-3 with a walk, double, two home runs and three RBIs.
· Goodman is the first Bulldog to hit two home runs in a game since Johnathan Sabo hit two home runs against ETSU on May 5, 2017.
· Cameron Reeves led an effective bullpen as he gave up just two unearned runs on two hits over 3.0 innings.
· Alex Bialakis allowed one hit in his scoreless inning of work and Morgan Foulks retired all three hitters he faced.
· Zach Taglieri (0-1) took the loss after giving up four runs, three earned, on six hits over 2.0 innings.
· Jake Mayhew (1-0) give up just one run on three hits over 5.0 innings to pick up the victory.
· Jeremiah Triplett earned his first save after giving up two runs on three hits over the final 4.0 innings.