CHARLESTON, S.C. – The Citadel scored early in the game, but it was not nearly enough as the ‘Dogs fell, 17-7, to Wofford in the series opener Friday evening at Joe Riley Park.
Score: Wofford 17, The Citadel 7
Records: Wofford (27-20, 9-6 SoCon), The Citadel (10-34, 3-13 SoCon)
Series: Wofford leads 1-0
Location: Charleston, South Carolina (Joe Riley Park)
- The Citadel committed three errors in the fourth inning that led to five unearned runs.
How it Happened
- WOF got on the board in the first inning as back-to-back base hits put runners on the corners with no outs. They plated a run on a fielder’s choice, but the damage was stopped there with a 3-6-3 inning-ending double play.
- The ‘Dogs tied the game in the home-half of the inning as Tyler Corbitt singled to left. After stealing second and going to third on a wild pitch, Ben Peden drove in the runner with a chopper to the right side.
- The Terriers regained the lead in the second with a run on the second 3-6-3 double play in as many innings. They added two more runs on another chopper behind the second-base bag.
- WOF added a run in the third on a RBI double from Colin Davis.
- The Citadel got two runs back in the bottom of the third as Dylan Spence drew a leadoff walk. With two outs, Corbitt singled and Peden walked to load the bases. Ches Goodman singled into the hole at short to score one run, and when the throw got passed the first baseman, a second run scored on the play.
- The Terriers took advantage of three errors and collected five hits to score five unearned runs in the fourth.
- WOF extended their lead by scoring a run in the sixth and adding six more in the seventh.
- The Citadel scored again in the eighth when Ryan McCarthy led off the inning with a line-drive shot over the wall in right field.
- The ‘Dogs put together a rally in the ninth inning as they loaded the bases on a fielder’s choice, walk, Dylan Spence single and Weidner Wilfong base on balls.
- McCarthy drove in a pair of runs with a single through the left side and Corbitt followed with a RBI just inside the first-base bag.
Inside the Box Score
- The ‘Dogs scored in the first inning for the fifth time in the last seven games.
- Ryan McCarthy’s home run was the fourth of the season for the sophomore. It was his third home run when leading off an inning.
- He would go on to add a two-run single and finish 2-for-5 with three RBIs.
- Tyler Corbitt collected three hits and scored two runs.
- His double in the ninth inning was his team-leading 15th on the season.
- Ben Peden added two hits and a RBI.
- The Bulldogs turned a 3-6-3 double play in each of the first two innings.
- Jordan Merritt (3-6) suffered the loss after giving up 10 runs, five earned, over 5.0 innings.
- Jordan Buster struck out in retiring the side in order in his one inning of work.
- Reece Maniscalso (3-1) picked up the victory in relief after allowing one run on four hits and 10 strikeouts over 5.0 innings.