CHARLESTON, S.C. – The Citadel got multi-hit games from Will Bastian and J.D. Davis in an 8-1 loss to Wofford Saturday evening at Joe Riley Park.
Score: Wofford 8, The Citadel 1
Records: Wofford (28-19, 10-6 SoCon), The Citadel (10-35, 3-14 SoCon)
Series: Wofford leads 2-0
Location: Charleston, South Carolina (Joe Riley Park)
· The Citadel had two on with nobody out in the sixth inning, but only managed to score one run.
How it Happened
· WOF got on board in the first inning as back-to-back two-out hits resulted in a RBI for Lawson Hill.
· The Terriers added to the lead with two runs in the fifth on a wild pitch and a RBI single from Brett Rodriguez.
· The lead grew to 6-0 in the sixth as a sacrifice fly was followed by a two-run single from Mike Brown.
· The ‘Dogs answered back with a run in the home-half of the inning after Will Bastian doubled to right and went to third on a J.D. Davis single to right center.
· Bastian would score on a wild pitch, but The Citadel was not able to score any more runs.
· The Terriers tacked on solo runs in the seventh and ninth innings for the final margin.
Inside the Box Score
· The ‘Dogs got the majority of their production from the bottom of the lineup as Will Bastian and J.D. Davis each collected two hits.
· Both of Bastian’s hits went for extra bases as he doubled down each line. He also scored the lone run.
· Shane Connolly (3-6) took the loss after he gave up six runs, five earned, on 10 hits over 5.2 innings.
· Morgan Foulks retired all three hitters he faced in the eighth.
· Hayes Heinecke (9-0) picked up the victory after allowing one run on seven hits and 10 strikeouts over 8.0 innings.