CHARLESTON, S.C. – The Citadel dropped a heartbreaker Sunday afternoon as Wofford scored twice in the ninth to hand the Bulldogs a 4-3 defeat on Senior Day.
Score: Wofford 4, The Citadel 3
Records: Wofford (29-19, 11-6 SoCon), The Citadel (10-36, 3-15 SoCon)
Series: Wofford wins 3-0
Location: Charleston, South Carolina (Joe Riley Park)
· A diving catch to start the bottom of the eighth inning helped limit the Bulldogs output to just two runs.
· The Terriers scored their two runs in the ninth after a two-out walk and hit by pitch.
How it Happened
· The Terriers got on the board in the sixth inning after a bunt single and blooper to right started the inning. A wild pitch and throwing error allowed the first run to score before Reed Massey hit a sacrifice fly to right to score the second run of the inning.
· The ‘Dogs answered back with a run in the bottom of the inning as Brooks O’Brien walked with one out and was followed by a two-out hit by pitch from Andrew Judkins and a Ryan McCarthy infield single.
· Ches Goodman followed with a ground ball to third that was misplayed, allowing a run to score.
· The Citadel came out swinging in the eighth as O’Brien lined a ball into the gap in right center, only to have Colin Davis make an outstanding diving catch.
· The play didn’t stop the ‘Dogs as Wesley Lane followed with a base hit through the left side.
· With two outs, Ryan McCarthy lined a ball over the head of the left fielder for a RBI triple.
· Goodman followed with a fly ball into shallow left center that fell between three players to give the ‘Dogs the 3-2 lead.
· The ninth inning started with two quick outs before a walk ignited a rally for the Terriers. The walk was followed by a hit by pitch and a double steal.
· Hudson Byorick gave the Terriers the lead with a base hit up the middle to score two runs.
Inside the Box Score
· Jordan Flanders was impressive in his second start of the week. After holding #9 Georgia scoreless in three innings on Tuesday, Flanders kept Wofford off the board for the first five innings.
· Flanders would go six innings on Sunday, allowing two runs on four hits and two strikeouts.
· Zach Taglieri was strong out the bullpen as he did not allow a hit over two shutout innings.
· Morgan Foulks (0-1) suffered the loss after giving up two runs on one hit in one inning of work.
· Rasesh Pandya (3-2) allowed one hit over 1.1 innings to pick up the victory.
· McCarthy led the offense by going 2-for-4 with a triple, RBI and run scored.