BUIES CREEK, N.C. – Campbell starter Ryan Chasse surrendered three hits tossing a complete game to lead Campbell past the Charleston Southern baseball team 4-1 Sunday to take the series two games to one in Big South play.
Junior first baseman Ryan Stoudemire smacked his team-leading 10th home run of the season for CSU’s (17-30, 7-14 Big South) lone run while Campbell (27-16, 15-5 Big South) scored two in the second and two-more in the sixth for insurance.
Senior infielder Jason Miller continued his on-base streak in the loss with a two-out seventh-inning single to break up a perfect game bid then senior outfielder Jason Peters collected a single to right field in the eighth.
CSU starter Cody Maw delivered a strong start on the mound for the Bucs going 6.0 innings striking out three and allowing just one walk while being responsible for Campbell’s four runs. Sunday made it 11-straight starts to begin his senior season tossing at least 5.0 innings.
How They Scored
· Campbell jumped to a 2-0 lead in the second inning as Collin Wolf doubled then came around on a Koby Collins single. Collins would come around on Zach Minnick’s RBI single.
· Ryan Chasse went to work from there taking a perfect game into the seventh before Jason Miller singled to center to break the perfect and no-hit bid with two outs.
· Matthew Barefoot singled and AJ Hrica walked to begin the home half of the sixth, then came around on Spencer Packard’s two-run single and 4-0 Camel lead, providing all the support Chasse would need.
· CSU broke through for their lone tally as Ryan Stoudemire took a Chasse fastball and deposited it over the left field wall for his 10th homer of the season and fifth RBI of the weekend.
News and Notes
· Jason Miller extended his on-base streak to 26 games with his seventh-inning single, breaking up the perfect game and no-hitter bid.
· Ryan Stoudemire became the first Buccaneer to go yard 10 times doing so with a solo blast in the ninth.
· Cody Maw tossed 6.0 innings Sunday making it a perfect 11-for-11 outings going at least five innings into a game.