Woman claims mold in community center made her daughter sick
CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - A woman is suing the city of Goose Creek claiming her daughter got sick because of mold inside a community center.
The lawsuit was filed on April 30 in Berkeley County by a woman who claims her minor daughter was enrolled in a gymnastics program at the Casey Community Center in May 2017.
In the lawsuit, the woman claims her daughter was in the facility repeatedly and was exposed to mold and possibly other toxins in several instances.
"The Casey Center was used for 40 years," Goose Creek City Administrator Jake Brooms said. "We are not aware of anyone else claiming illness from the building during those 40 years. The City was only notified of this alleged claim after the Casey Center was closed and many months after the child last used the facility. The Casey Center was closed and slated for demolition not as a result of any specific problem, but because the City opened a new gymnastics facility in May 2018. The City intends to defend this lawsuit in the courtroom."
The woman is suing for the cost of injuries and damages her daughter suffered.
Copyright 2019 WCSC. All rights reserved.