CHARLESTON, S.C. – The Citadel’s Jordan Merritt tossed his second complete-game of the season, but it was not enough as the Bulldogs fell 4-0 to ETSU in the series opener Friday afternoon at Joe Riley Park.
Score: ETSU 4, The Citadel 0
Records: ETSU (29-17, 8-10 SoCon), The Citadel (10-38, 3-16 SoCon)
Series: ETSU leads 1-0
Location: Charleston, South Carolina (Joe Riley Park)
- The Citadel committed two errors in the second inning that led to three unearned runs.
How it Happened
- ETSU got the scoring going in the second inning as they pushed across four runs. A throwing error on a strikeout started the inning. After the runner came around to score on the second error of the inning, Ethan Shelton delivered a RBI single to right and Noah Hill plated two runs with a single up the middle.
Inside the Box Score
- Jordan Merritt (3-7) tossed his second complete-game of the season Friday afternoon.
- The senior, making his last appearance on the Riley Park mound, allowed just one earned run and tied his career-high with nine strikeouts.
- It marked the third time this season that he has struck out nine. He also fanned nine against Delaware State and Furman.
- The ‘Dogs had two of their three hits go for extra bases. Ches Goodman delivered a leadoff double to right in the second inning and Ben Peden doubled to left in the fourth.
- Micah Kaczor (6-1) earned the victory after allowing three hits and striking out eight in the complete game.