CULLOWHEE, N.C. – The Citadel got six shutout innings from freshman Lathan Todd in a 3-1 victory over Western Carolina in the regular-season finale Saturday afternoon at Hennon Stadium. The victory gave the 'Dogs the series victory.
Score: The Citadel 3, Western Carolina 1
Records: Western Carolina (20-30, 8-16 SoCon), The Citadel (12-42, 5-19 SoCon)
Series: The Citadel wins series 2-1
Location: Cullowhee, North Carolina (Hennon Stadium)
- Ches Goodman got a groundout with the tieing run on second base to end the game.
How it Happened
- Ryan McCarthy started the game with a line drive through the right side. After a groundout moved McCarthy to second, Ben Peden blooped a double into left center to score McCarthy.
- With two outs, a hard-hit ball of the bat of Cole Simpson was misplayed at short, allowing Peden to score.
- The Bulldogs added to lead in the second inning when Tilo Skole reached on a throwing error and was sacrificed to second by Brooks O'Brien.
- McCarthy made the Catamounts pay as he ripped a 3-0 pitch through the right side for the two-out RBI.
- Things got interesting in the ninth inning as an infield single started the inning. With runners on first and second, the Bulldogs got the force at second, but threw the ball away at first to allow a run to score.
- After a walk and a groundout put runners on second and third with two outs, Ches Goodman got a grounder to second to end the game.
Inside the Box Score
- Lathan Todd (1-0) continued the strong weekend on the mound for the Bulldogs as the freshman allowed just one hit and struck out five over 6.0 shutout innings.
- He allowed a single in the first inning and did not allow a hit over the next five innings.
- He ran into a little trouble in the fourth inning as the Catamounts got two runners on with two outs. Todd made sure to keep WCU off the board by getting a strikeout to end the inning.
- He bounced back to set the side down in order in the fifth and got out of the sixth by stranding a runner.
- Zach Taglieri pitched the seventh inning and was able to get a flyout to strand two more base runners.
- Ches Goodman pitched the final two innings, allowing an unearned run on an infield single to earn his first career save.
- The pitching staff held WCU to just four singles, three of which were infield hits.
- Ryan McCarthy and Ben Peden each collected two hits as the Bulldogs outhit the Catamounts, 9-4.
- Both wins on the weekend came from freshman.
- The Bulldogs got 25 of the 26 innings on the weekend by freshman or sophomores.