CULLOWHEE, N.C. – The freshman tandem of Jordan Flanders and Cameron Reeves combined to allow just two runs to pitch The Citadel to a 5-2 victory over Western Carolina Friday afternoon at Hennon Stadium.
Score: The Citadel 5, Western Carolina 2
Records: Western Carolina (20-29, 8-15 SoCon), The Citadel (11-42, 4-19 SoCon)
Series: Series tied 1-1
Location: Cullowhee, North Carolina (Hennon Stadium)
· The Bulldogs bounced back after the Catamounts tied the game in the sixth to score four runs in the eighth.
· The Catamounts had the tieing run at the plate, but Cameron Reeves got a flyout to end the game.
How it Happened
· The Bulldogs got on the board in the top of the first as Ryan McCarthy drew a leadoff walk and went to second when Tyler Corbitt singled to left center.
· After Ben Peden advanced both runners with a groundout, Ches Goodman grounded out to the left side to score McCarthy.
· The Citadel got hits from Corbitt and Peden, followed by a fielding error to load the bases in the sixth. With two outs, the Bulldogs looked to score on a passed ball, but the runner did not get a good read and retreated.
· WCU tied the game with two outs in the sixth when Luke Robinson hit a solo home run to right field.
· The Bulldogs greeted the Catamount reliever with a double from Peden, followed by a run-scoring double from Goodman.
· Lane Botkin followed by using his speed to beat out a bunt. The throw got past the first baseman, allowing Goodman to score on the play.
· Wesley Lane drew a walk and Tilo Skole sacrificed the runners to second and third.
· A wild pitch allowed Botkin to score before Will Bastian doubled off the base of the wall to score Lane.
· The Catamounts got a run back in the home-half of the inning on an inside-the-park home run from Daylan Nanny.
· The Bulldogs faced a little adversity in the ninth as WCU put two runners on with outs for the top of the order. Cameron Reeves pitched above his years as the freshman got the hitter to hit a fly ball into shallow center field to end the game.
Inside the Box Score
· Jordan Flanders did not factor into the decision, but was dominant on the mound. The freshman gave up just one run on three hits over 6.0 innings.
· He did not allow a base hit until a soft single into right center with two outs in the fourth inning.
· Cameron Reeves (1-2) was just as effective in earning the first win of his collegiate career.
· The freshman allowed the one run on four hits and four strikeouts over 3.0 innings.
· Ben Peden paced the offense by going 3-for-4 with a pair of doubles and a run scored.
· Tyler Corbitt and Lane Botkin each added two hits.
· Ches Goodman doubled and drove in two runs.
· The victory put an end to the ‘Dogs losing streak.
· The win was the first this season when tied after seven innings.