GREENVILLE, S.C. – The Citadel saw its 2019 baseball season come to an end Monday morning as the Bulldogs fell, 7-3, to Western Carolina in the opening round of the Southern Conference Tournament at Fluor Field.
Score: Western Carolina 7, The Citadel 3
Records: Western Carolina (21-30), The Citadel (13-43)
Location: Greenville, South Carolina (Fluor Field)
· The Bulldogs stranded 13 base runners, including at least one base runner in eight of the nine innings. The Citadel left the bases loaded in the third and sixth innings.
How it Happened
· The Bulldogs got on the board in the first inning when Tyler Corbitt turned on a fastball and deposits it in the seats above the green monster for his first career home run.
· WCU tied the game in the second inning after Jalen Jones doubled off the wall in left.
· The Citadel regained the lead in the third inning as Ryan McCarthy singled and Ben Peden and Ches Goodman were hit by pitches to load the bases.
· Lane Botkin drove in a run with a base hit to right field and Tilo Skole drew a walk with the bases loaded.
· The Catamounts got a run back in the home-half of the inning on a leadoff homer from Immanuel Wilder.
· WCU gained their first lead of the game in the fifth inning as Chase Bigbie delivered a RBI single up the middle. The Catamounts took the lead on a base hit from Justin Sparks, then added two more runs on a base hit off the bat of Will Prater.
· The Citadel tried to mount a rally in the sixth inning as they loaded the bases, all with two outs. Unfortunately, a fly ball in center field ended the inning.
· WCU would add a run in the seven on a solo home run from Luke Robinson.
Inside the Box Score
· Senior Jordan Merritt (3-8) saw his collegiate career come to an end. The right hander suffered the loss after giving up five runs on six hits and five strikeouts over four-plus innings.
· He finished his senior year with 70 strikeouts.
· The rest of the game belonged to freshmen as Jordan Flanders, Cameron Reeves and Ches Goodman tossed the final four innings.
· Reeves struck out a pair of his two-thirds of an inning, while Goodman struck out one in his one inning of work.
· Tyler Corbitt paced the offense by going 2-for-5 with a RBI and a run scored.
· His first-inning home run was the first of his career.
· Tilo Skole was the only other Bulldog with a multi-hit game as he went 2-for-3 with a RBI and two walks.
· Taylor Purus (5-4) picked up the victory in relief, allowing three hits and striking out seven over 62 shutout innings.