MOUNT PLEASANT, S.C. (WCSC) - The Mount Pleasant Police Department announced Wednesday is joining a free app to help provide real-time, crime and safety information.
The Neighbors network already has millions of users and has been instrumental in catching package thieves, stopping burglaries, and keeping neighborhoods safe, according to a post on the Mount Pleasant Police blog.
“We are excited about our partnership with the Neighbors App by Ring,” Police Chief Carl Ritchie said. “This program will allow us to exchange information with residents anonymously and in an innovative way to further reduce crime in Mount Pleasant. Community engagement is a key factor in crime prevention and this endeavor gives us another opportunity to strengthen our communications efforts.”
Ring Chief Inventor and Founder Jamie Siminoff said the Neighbors app is meant to facilitate real-time communication between these groups, while maintaining neighbor privacy first and foremost.
“Over the past few years we have learned that, when neighbors, the Ring team and law enforcement all work together, we can create safer communities,” Siminoff said.
Mount Pleasant residents can text mpsc to 555888 from their smartphone to download the Neighbors app free on iOS and Android devices.
Once downloaded, follow these steps:
- Opt-in to join your neighborhood.
- Customize the geographic area you want to receive notifications for (users must verify where they are located and cannot participate in other neighborhoods).
- Receive real-time alerts from your neighbors, local law enforcement and the Ring team that inform of crime and safety alerts as they happen.
- View local crime and safety posts via a live feed or interactive map.
- Share text updates, photos and videos taken on any device, including Ring’s home security devices.