CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCSC) - As Hurricane Dorian approaches South Carolina, counties in the Lowcountry have begun to announce shelter openings around the area.
There are buses in Charleston County to take people to shelters until 6 p.m. on Wednesday. You can find the pickup locations here.
The full list of shelter openings can be found below:
- Coastal Pre-Release Center (pet friendly shelter) – 3765 Leeds Avenue, North Charleston 29405
- Military Magnet Academy - 2950 Carner Ave, North Charleston, SC 29405
- R.B. Stall High School - 3625 Ashley Phosphate Rd, North Charleston, SC 29418
- Jerry Zucker Middle School - 6401 Dorchester Rd, North Charleston, SC 29418
Berkeley County will open shelters Wednesday at 10 a.m. The following shelters will be open to Berkeley County residents.
- Westview Middle School – 101 Westview Middle School Goose Creek, SC 29445
- Berkeley Middle School – 320 N Live Oak Drive Moncks Corner, SC 29461
- Cane Bay High School (Animal friendly shelter)– 1624 State Road Summerville, SC 29483
- St. Stephen Elementary – 1053 Russellville Road St. Stephen, SC 29479
Additionally, there will be a medical special needs shelter opened. Please contact S.C.D.H.E.C. for more information at 855-472-3432.
- Colleton County High School - 150 Cougar Nation Drive, Walterboro, SC 29488
- Dubose Middle School (Pet friendly shelter) - 1005 Dubose School Road, Summerville, SC 29483
- PLEASANT HILL ELEMENTARY - 127 Schoolhouse Road, Hemingway, SC 29554
- WILLIAMSBURG COUNTY REC - 2084 Thurgood Marshall Road, Kingstree, SC 29556
If you do not have a pet, you are asked to avoid the pet-friendly shelters to leave room for people who are bringing pets. Make sure you also bring:
- Phone and charger(s)
- Food and snacks for you and your children
- Extra clothes