LIST: Hurricane shelters open in the Lowcountry
CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCSC) - As Hurricane Dorian approaches South Carolina, counties in the Lowcountry have begun to announce shelter openings around the area.
Counties and cities have also opened sandbag locations and phone lines in order to help residents prepare.
There are buses in Charleston County to take people to shelters until 6 p.m. on Wednesday. You can find the pickup locations here.
The full list of shelter openings can be found below:
- Coastal Pre-Release Center (pet friendly shelter) – 3765 Leeds Avenue, North Charleston 29405
- Military Magnet Academy - 2950 Carner Ave, North Charleston, SC 29405
- R.B. Stall High School - 3625 Ashley Phosphate Rd, North Charleston, SC 29418
- Jerry Zucker Middle School - 6401 Dorchester Rd, North Charleston, SC 29418
Berkeley County will open shelters Wednesday at 10 a.m. The following shelters will be open to Berkeley County residents.
- Westview Middle School – 101 Westview Middle School Goose Creek, SC 29445
- Berkeley Middle School – 320 N Live Oak Drive Moncks Corner, SC 29461
- Cane Bay High School (Animal friendly shelter)– 1624 State Road Summerville, SC 29483
- St. Stephen Elementary – 1053 Russellville Road St. Stephen, SC 29479
Additionally, there will be a medical special needs shelter opened. Please contact S.C.D.H.E.C. for more information at 855-472-3432.
- Colleton County High School - 150 Cougar Nation Drive, Walterboro, SC 29488
- Dubose Middle School (Pet friendly shelter) - 1005 Dubose School Road, Summerville, SC 29483
- PLEASANT HILL ELEMENTARY - 127 Schoolhouse Road, Hemingway, SC 29554
- WILLIAMSBURG COUNTY REC - 2084 Thurgood Marshall Road, Kingstree, SC 29556
If you do not have a pet, you are asked to avoid the pet-friendly shelters to leave room for people who are bringing pets. Make sure you also bring:
- Phone and charger(s)
- Food and snacks for you and your children
- Extra clothes
Copyright 2019 WCSC. All rights reserved.